The Brill Building, at the north end of Times Square, gave its name to a special era in American pop. Although built in 1931, you can think of the “Brill Building Sound” as starting in 1958, when Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller first produced the Drifters, and Aldon Music was founded. Other famous songwriting duos included
- Jerry Goffin and Carole King (Up On the Roof, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow)
- Barry Weil and Cynthia Mann (You’ve Lost the Lovin’ Feeling)
- Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich (Be My Baby)
- Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman (Save the Last Dance for Me)
- Burt Bacharach and Hal David (Walk On By)
Musicologist note: Much, if not most, of the “Brill Building Sound” actually came from another building, 1650 Broadway (at 51st Street), the home of Aldon Music, with the Allegro Studios recording studio in the basement.